Thursday, January 16, 2014

First restored parts.

Well, this will be the beginning of a long list of parts that will be cleaned up.  Dad sandblasted and painted a pair of wheels that were in the truck. (Thanks)   See, it's baby steps. :)  They will be fitted with a pair of used tires, size to be determined.  Looking for some 285/60/16.


The big thing on my mind right now is drivetrain.  I know I want to put a 350 in it, but the choice of transmission has got me perplexed.   Auto or manual?  I want a manual 5 speed to give me better highway mpg, and I also want it so it sounds good.  An auto does not let you celebrate the exhaust note like a stick!  :)   But putting and automatic in it seems to be simpler.  There is a lot more parts to deal with and modifications to figure out with the manual, but if this is going to be a hotrod wouldn't it make more sense to be a stick??  

I am feeling a bit(completely) lost when it comes to this modification/decision.

The more I read, the more it looks like an S10 T5 will do the trick.  Some have concerns that is is not stout enough to handle the v8 torque.  Others say the AX15 5 speed will work, but I don't know... this is new territory for me.  Anybody want to help me out with this?

I'm looking forward to spring and finding a swap meet or two to talk to other builders to learn and get ideas.

The upcoming 3-day weekend looks to be warm and dry.  Hoping to get the front end off by Monday afternoon.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment