Tuesday, January 7, 2014

After a couple of days, I got the drivers door open...  The pictures will tell you why I was not troubled by opening it like a can of tuna.  The rust was so bad that the bottom of the  door did not even exist and all of the screws on the door panel were frozen.  The door latch was completely corroded and rusted to the point that I had to drive the latch into the open position once I removed the door skin.



What I have discovered is that the holes in the roof have led to a lot of cancer in the cab.  It has rusted through in the low places in the cab inner liner and has run down the pillars and through everything.  The passenger door looks to be salvageable if I can get it open without damage.  I've got some ideas. :)






With this discovery I went looking for a cab and actually found one from a 61 in decent shape.  The only catch is a 3.5 hour drive.  It now looks like this will be a complete frame off rebuild.  I will strip everything I can out of the old cab and likely use parts of the old cab to patch the donor.

I have found a truck site that looks like it will be a great help.  I hope that once I've gotten down the road with this project, I can contribute back.  For now daylight is fleeting and for the winter months it will be a weekend only adventure.  I am looking forward to longer days so I can tinker in the evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment